I fell like a walking, talking, breathing, CAUTION sign. I like to imagine that there are flashing neon lights involved with said sign. I know I've wrote about this before, but the latest announcement has brought me to a new level of thinking on this topic.
I am the worst case scenario for many women. I am the woman that people- both fertile and non-fertile think to themselves, "at least I'm not her" And I am not saying this to be melodramatic- it's the realization that I have come to. Let's be honest here. I've fallen into the veteran, wrong side of the statistics category for many years now. The thing is- while I am obviously a little bitter about all we've endured, the fact that I am "thank god I'm not her" girl is what is bringing me to the brink right now.
In so many ways, I have followed the rules and lived the good life. Sure, I married young, but I was in love and was close to finishing college. We made some bad financial decisions in our early married years, but we've made good on that now. I have a good career working in a human service field- working with challenging kids. I have good friends who have supported me through it all.
But I know so many of them are so very thankful that they aren't in my shoes. I am now at a point that every.single.one of my closest friends is either pregnant or parenting. Now, several of them have gone into the ttc world full force- because they KNOW. They know what the worst case looks like, and by god, the are going to do what they can not to end up like me. They start trying as soon as they can. They move to specialists early on. They get second opinions.
And you know why? Because I have shared my experience. I've always been very open about all we've been through. I've felt it was my responsibility to educate my friends. God knows I don't want to wish my fate on ANYONE- especially those who I care so much about. So in all reality, I built this neon flashing CAUTION sign all by myself.
I have so many mixed feelings on this. Holding this giant CAUTION sign is weighing heavy on my heart and soul. I also feel a sense of pride in that I have been able to serve as a warning for friends- and that so many of them have been blessed with pregnancies and children. That giant CAUTION sign has done its job.
Tonight I will be joining my closest coworkers for a girls night hosted by the friend mentioned in the last post. She is planning to tell our fellow coworkers tonight. I was torn about what to do to protect myself, and in the end I called one of the other girls who will be there tonight too. While I know it wasn't my news to share, I knew that she would understand. She's the friend who got pregnant on her first IUI and we danced around it for months. When I told her, I could feel the sting she felt with our friend's quick pregnancy too. I am feeling a little guilty about telling her, but think that she also needed time to absorb the news. I am thankful to have an "ally" when the news is shared tonight. One of my fears is that people will act strangely around me when the news is out. I've said this before, I think one of the most painful parts of long time infertility is the pity parade you get. I'm just not in the mood for a parade tonight!
So I am off with my giant CAUTION sign to spend time with the girls I adore and hope that the awkwardness is minimal. There's always copious amounts of wine to make it all feel much less awkward, right?
I was just telling my husband that I have felt for awhile that our lives living with infertility has somehow felt like a cautionary tale to our friends (who are either pregnant or now parenting).
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to this post. I too hate the Pity Parade. I'm afraid to go to a Faculty/Staff thing with my husband because one of his co-workers (who have also struggled with infertility) have recently been matched with a baby girl (after only a month after starting the DIA process). I'm so torn between being happy for them and sad for us. GOod luck and enjoy the wine :)
Hope you have fun tonight and it's not overly awkward. Enjoy your wine :)
ReplyDeleteI totally understand this, I feel like a worst case scenario all the time. It is so heart breaking, I am so sorry. sending you tons of love
ReplyDeleteI wish it was you making a big announcement at your gathering. I ache for that day for you, Patience.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to being 'that woman'. Although I haven't gone through nearly the hell you've been through, it is something that I have also felt. I've just dealt with it by stopping a lot of social engagements, which came with some big downsides. Once again, I admire your strength to be able to attend such gatherings. In the end, it seems like you know your friendship to these women is more important and that you can find a way to get through the evening - thank heavens for wine.
I'm glad you found an ally for the evening. I think it was very smart of you to think of telling one person who you could count on for support.
I find myself reassuring other women that have not started trying to get pregnant that they most likely won't be like me, that hopefully I sucked up all the infertility in my area and hogged it all :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you feel like a caution sign, but I totally get it. The tide must turn, Patience, or I will lose my faith in the entire universe.
Good for you for taking control and kicking the IF monster in the arse and letting yourself enjoy these special moments like the night you mention. I hope you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW...Yes being an IF veteran is def not a place I ever thought I would be...it sucks that we are dealing with IF but I truly believe we are stronger because of it..not because we want to but because we have to
ReplyDelete