Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tired of being STRONG

I'm going to warn all of you right now... this is a rambling post of a woman who is not in a great place.  Feel free to click away right now.  I need to "dump" my thoughts here so that I can start to heal and move on.  That has always been one of the chief reasons I've kept this blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was my first day back in the "real world" after the D&C last week.  It's the first day back to normal- back to life before the latest pregnancy.  First day back at work not pregnant.  I survived but I'm tired. Literally tired... and tired of being strong.

It took every single ounce of strength I had this morning.  I'll admit that I didn't have the best attitude when I walked out the door.  It's so frustrating to spend each and every day with other people's children.  Since I am a special education teacher, I work with many families who are less than ideal.  Parents who have little to no parenting skills and some have even told me that they simply have no desire to be parents.  It rips at my heart when I hear things like this.  After the most recent heartbreak, I am at the point that I would give just about anything to be a parent.  (Ok, I've been at that point for a long time)

As a treat to get through the day, I told myself that I could stop at Starb.ucks and get whatever coffee I wanted.  Before this pregnancy, I was a regular at the location close to school.  They know what I drink and such.  But I haven't been in but once since the start of the year.  I was really looking forward to it my entire drive into school.  Just as a pull into a spot, a very pregnant woman and her husband walk in to the store.  No big deal, I am a big girl and the world is full of pregnant women.  It was just the three of us in the store.  They are also apparently regulars too.  Again, no big deal, get me my coffee and we'll all be good.

Only it appears that the couple was on their way to be induced.... and you can imagine what the conversation went to when this came up in conversation.  Both the baristas chimed in with their birth stories.  That's just what happens.   I literally stood there wanting the floor the open up and swallow me right there.  I waited for my coffee and thankfully other people came in.  But the conversation continued.  It was the first time that I literally had to hold back tears.  When the barista asked me where I'd been, I was able to squeak out that I had been sick.  What else was I going to say? I got my coffee and then proceeded to burst into tears in my car. 

Seriously, I don't know what I did to piss off the universe.  I am so tired of being strong.  My heart is breaking right now.  I think it's really starting to sink in that we lost another pregnancy.  And this time it was different... seeing the heartbeat makes this more real.  I am not even sure how I will deal with the testing results when we get them.  And then we have the adoption fall through.  While it was only a short time that it was real, we still can't get any answers from the SW in Florida.  I just don't understand why we can't even get a phone call returned.  I just want to know that the baby has been placed in a loving home. 

To make things even more fun, I am still having random bursts of cramping and bleeding.  It slows down to almost nothing, and then WHAM I have a gush and cramping.  I realize it hasn't even been a week since the D&C, but enough already.  I don't need this crap anymore. With my luck, this will go on for weeks. 

Just to add some more fun to this week- our SW is coming on Wednesday for a "maintenance" check of our house.  Chris will be home when she comes.  I am not going to freak out about making sure everything is spotless.  I just don't have the energy.  We're also coming up on the point that we need to start renewing all of our clearances and such.  We'll have to renew our homestudy too.  Let's hope we don't have to do that more than once.

While I have obviously been driven in our quest to be parents, I am feeling an extreme sense of urgency now.  It is consuming almost all of my thoughts.  Everything else- like working- just seems to be less important right now.  Yet, there is nothing I can do to move things along.  I don't have control over anything at this point.  I just have to go through the days marking the passage of time. 

I know that it will get better.  It hasn't even been a week since the D&C.  I know that I need to heal- physically and emotionally.  I just worry that there will come a time when the scars become so deep that I am no longer the person I want to be.  I am worried that I will become so scarred from all of this that I will not be able to be a good wife, friend... and parent. 

12 comments:

  1. Patience, my heart is pieces reading this. Life has been so cruel and unfair to you. You and Chris WILL be parents. My hope is that it will happen soon.

    That Starbucks story is too unbelievable. Ugh you are strong. I would have literally fallen on the floor. I know that you are tired of being strong right now but thats ok. Please just allow yourself time to grieve. You will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((hugs)))) I know how difficult it is to be a teacher and she how other people don't take care of their children. It's so frustrating and just isn't fair. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience, I am very sorry that you are going through this, it's really unfair. I wish that I could do something to change it all. Take time to heal and grieve. We are here for you whenever you need to vent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge hugs. I don't know what to say - it all sounds like platitudes. I'm just so sorry <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Patience. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you had the Starbucks experience to start off your day. Be gentle with yourself, your emotions and physical body are still adjusting to the change. Remember sometimes you need to totally relax and let someone else be strong for just a bit. Your strength will be renewed, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience...I struggle to write just how awful I feel for you and Chris. Something's got to give and soon...the universe can't continue to be so cruel. Hoping you will find your legs soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so awful for you and I have had those awful days as well where it feels like the world is torturing me beyond the IF. You have every right to vent. I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow honey, you must have REALLY wanted that St.arbuck's coffee, because I would have just turned around and walked out. That is a true testament to both your strength and your love of a good coffee beverage! But seriously, I am so, so, so sorry that you are going through this again. And I do know how it feels when you are so certain that the universe is putting these pregnant bellies in your face just to make your pain even worse. Even now when I see a belly, I feel that same twinge and wonder if it was hard for them to get there. I know that your pain is feeling unbearable right now, but I continue to have faith that you will find your happiness soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is all still so raw for you. I'm really sorry about how painful this is right now. Insult, upon insult, upon insult to injury. And that Starb.ucks incident is plain awful. That would have killed me.
    I also had bleeding for a long time after the d&c in the spring. It seemed to go on and on (almost 2 weeks), and surprise me much after I thought I was done bleeding completely.
    I hope that you find your stride at work soon, and that you can just go and be on autopilot. Work can add much needed structure to an abyss of grief that feels so amorphous. At least that was my experience.
    Patience, I just know that you will be a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patience - there is nothing fair or good about your situation right now. There is no need to force yourself to be your happy normal self right now. Sometimes people say when faced with tragedies or difficult times to think of all the blessings you have. I somewhat disagree; when you are in grief, you need to be true to your darkest feelings and get them out. I lost my Dad to a tragedy and trust me there was no thinking of my blessings then. You have to process it in your own time and in your own way. We're here to listen and to support you when you are down and we'll be there to cheer you on when your day comes for good news. It will happen. The pieces will come together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a two time miscarrier, I started my blog after my first one, and being able to blog, and put all of what I was feeling out there, to compose my thoughts, dark as they may have been, went a very long way towards healing me.

    We are here to listen to the bad, and we can empathize only like people who have been here can. And we'll be waiting to cheer you on when the good stuff comes along. And it will. Reading these blogs, you know that happy endings do come, some of us are just destined to have to take a trip through hell to get there.

    ReplyDelete