Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Desperate for Sleep

The sleep issues were the sign that triggered me to take the HPT back in December.  Each of the three times I've been pregnant in the past year have all shared this symptom.  Crazy dreams that wake me up and keep me from getting a restful sleep.  I dealt with it all when I was pregnant.  Here I am two weeks post D&C and I have yet to sleep through the night.  It's been more than two months since I last slept all the way through the night.

I'm desperate. 

I have always been the girl who needs 8 hours of sleep.  I've never had sleep issues until the first pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage.  Just one more added perk, I guess.  I have no problem falling asleep.  It's staying asleep that is the problem. 

I am tired all day.  I have a pretty stressful job as a middle school teacher- especially right now since we are two weeks out from our state testing that sets everything for NCLB.  I have a headache most of the morning.  This morning it was so bad around 9:00 that I had to hold back tears. 

I know that this all could be part of the grieving process. But since this all started before the miscarriage, I don't think that's the case.  I am worried that this is now becoming a viscous cycle- I am stressed about not being able to sleep and that is in turn keeping me awake at night.  I don't know how to fix this.  It's making me more stressed.  I am literally sitting here in tears writing this post. 

So- does anyone have any suggestions?  Is melatonin safe?  I'm trying this Natural Calm supplement suggested by a FB friend.  I've only taken it one night and didn't have any success last night.  Plan on trying it again tonight.  I've tried Tylenol PM and even that doesn't keep me asleep.  My labs all came back normal from the OB yesterday- so it's not anemia.  I haven't been back to the chiropractor since the m/c.  I just haven't been able to get the courage to walk back in there after he wasn't able to "save" the pregnancy.  I know I need to get my act together and go back.  He might be able to help with this too.

I really don't know how much longer I can handle all of this.  I haven't seen my PCP in a long time, but I think she might consider an Rx if I asked for it.  But I'd like to try as natural an approach as possible.  Did a little goo.gle research and looks like low progesterone could be an issue.  But I had the same issues when I was on progesterone support.  So I don't think that's it either. 

Please let me have just a little more sleep tonight....

10 comments:

  1. ((hugs))

    I'm pretty sure Melatonin is safe although it's one of the things my high-risk OB told me to stop taking when she found out I was trying to get pregnant (many many miscarriages ago now). Since you're not trying now I think it would be fine. It definitely works for me, but Tylenol PM works for me too, so if Tylenol PM doesn't work for you, I'm not sure how effective the melatonin will be. I like it because I don't wake up feeling drugged groggy like Tylenol PM makes me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've dealt with sleep issues all my life. Melatonin works for me sometimes, and my PCP prescribed Ambien. I take it for two weeks to "reset" my sleep cycle and then wean off of it. It worked right after my miscarriage. You could start with the melatonin since you can get it OTC, and then if that doesn't work see your PCP. I'm sorry, I suck at sleeping so I know how you feel, especially when you're so tired and sleep doesn't come. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, Melatonin only helps with falling asleep but doesn't help with staying asleep. I hope you find a solution. I know how frustrating it is to lay awake when you're exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had so-so luck with melatonin pills, but great luck with sublingual melatonin. I found it at whole foods. Hang in there. It really sucks to be chronically sleep deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had friends that have had weird vivid dreams, leading to more disrupted sleep with melatonin. So I've always avoided it. And FYI - Tylenol PM is just tylenol mixed with benadryl. So if you don't have pain, and are just looking to sleep, just take benadryl. and by just taking benadryl you can up the dosage as you need to - but ask a doc about how much is the max they recommend.

    maybe a rx might not be a bad idea - i've taken lunesta and found it really helpful. without hangover or weird dreams. its not forever, but just for enough time til you feel rested and get yourself reset. remember, you've been through a tough time, to say the least. whether it is residual stress or hormones resetting themselves (or most likely both!!) it is ok to get help for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to read this. I suffered from immense insomnia after our losses and IF diagnosis. It was awful. It was the ugly side of grief to blame. As for melatonin...taking it right now. Have been for the last month and I really like it. I take two pills at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were doing IF and adoption I just "dealt" with it, but afterwards my body couldn't take it. I had been stuffing all the emotions down. Anyway, I had terrible insomnia. Went to a therapist, yada yada... I'm a 3am wake up person. Anxiety insmonia ;-). I talking a type of Melatonin called Melatrol. I drink sleepy time tea before bed to relax me and if I wake up at 3 take Melatrol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Promise not to get mad at me?

    Nothing wrong with medication if you need it. It got me out of my darkest days. I went back to it when things were rough again. No where near the pain and suffering as when my daughter was still born, but I knew I was slipping back down hill. I wanted to stop it.

    Course not that you are a shattered nut case like I was. Remember I also went back to the meds just when I knew I was not myself.

    My heart is hopeful this helps and doesnt sound like ass-vice.

    Thank you for tending to my K when you are struggling on your own end. You have a big heart. I cannot wait until you have a baby who can stay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience - I'm wondering if short term you could see if your doctor could recommend something to take, but in the long term, maybe a good exercise routine (where you sweat a lot) could help. I know, for myself, it would reduce stress, give me more energy, and ultimately give me a more restful sleep. Not getting enough sleep is horrible. It affects you all through the day and impacts your mood. I hope you get some relief/resolution soon. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely agree with others who recommend seeing your doc for a prescription. Amb.ien and Lunes.ta have both worked for me in the past. You need some rest and once you get back on track with your sleep, you will be less stressed about it and therefore will most likely be able to sleep better on your own. I know from experience that when I am stressed, I don't sleep. And then I get more stressed about not sleeping, so like you said it is a vicious cycle. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete