I had high hopes last Christmas that we would be in a different place today. I suppose in many ways, we are in a very different place than we were. It's just not the destination I had hoped for. This Christmas is different in many ways, but not in the positive way we had so highly hoped. I am trying hard to not dwell on what could have been- but it's so hard. It's hard not to think where we "should" be at this point if things had worked out in January or September. But if there is anything I have learned, there is no should when it comes to IF.
I am angry and sad. I am going to allow myself that for just one more hour, and then I have to put on the happy face and embrace what our Christmas IS this year, not what I wish it was. We have a wonderful home, friends who love us as if we were family, and enough resources to live comfortably. We are blessed, and I am hoping that can guide me through the next 48 hours.
I am also thankful that we can do as we wish in that time frame, and are not under any obligation to be anywhere. In years past I have hosted my immediate family on Christmas Eve and gone to my Aunt's house on Christmas Day. We are estranged from my family (by my choice) so we are spending the time doing what we want to- spending it with friends who have supported and loved us beyond words over the past difficult year. Tonight we will have dinner with the Rinaldi family. They really have become our family. Then we will be heading down to Children's Memorial Hospital for the day tomorrow to spend it with our dear friend and her daughter. Devon had a second major back surgery on Tuesday and will be spending Christmas in the hospital. We're taking her an Ipod touch to keep her busy as she endures the next 6 weeks of recovery. I am really looking forward to spending the day cheering someone else up! I am hoping it will keep me from missing what could have been this year.
I hope you all are able to find some peace this holiday.
Your Christmas plans sound very nice! I wish you a Merry Christmas as well. Big hugs for the year you and Chris have gone through. May you be able to enjoy the next 48 hours and keep strong. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThis is our first Christmas without family and we're looking forward to not having to run around all day between families. I think as long as you're spending it with people you love, then who cares. I hope you have an amazing day and that your home study goes through without a hitch on the 4th! Lots of love from ICLW #110.
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you for allowing yourself to grieve and then recognizing that you are going to be happy. I wish you and Chris a very Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that 2010 did not bring you the child you long for so deeply. I hope with all my heart that 2011 will rectify that. In the mean time, it sounds like you've planned for a Christmas that is kind to your grieving heart. Merry Christmas, Patience. May you experience moments of joy and peace this Holiday season.
ReplyDeleteHugs from your friend Augusta.
Holidays are always hard after a miscarriage. For years I would think "I should be buying toys and my child should be however many months/years old by now.". It sounds like you have some great plans for tomorrow so keep that spirit up and have a merry Christmas!
ReplyDeletewishing you a happy holiday and wondreful things in 2011. I think you are on the right track by focusing on what is instead of what it "should be", I know how hard that can be.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I've been mia.... I hope you had a nice holiday tho I know it's hard.
ReplyDeleteHi, stopping over from ICLW. So sorry to hear about your loss. The Holidays always made me think about the child/ren I didn't have. It is a rough time of year for IF people. I pray that 2011 is your year. In my head, your birthmom is out there, somewhere about to get pregnant. :) Best wishes to you. ICLW #69
ReplyDeleteI wish this Christmas was different for you... but it's wonderful that you're remembering to appreciate all that you do have. I like your comment about reflecting on the meaning behind Christmas, not about what you wish you have. I need to do this more often and am grateful for the reminder. I hope by this time next year, your heart will be brimming with happiness.
ReplyDeleteI love this post for so many reasons! I am so sorry about your recent miscarraige. I've been there just before Christmas with a recent chemical pregnancy from a fresh IVF and a failed FET. But the following Christmas, I had twins who were celebrating their first Christmas with us! BELIEVE! I just featured your blog! ICLW (# 16)!
ReplyDelete