Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Three

Did anyone else grow up hearing that things happen in threes?  I grew up hearing that death, major events, and births happen in threes.  Interestingly, that is usually the case. 

You know where this is going, right?

I now have three coworkers that are pregnant and all due within a month of each other.  The third teacher came to me today.  She happens to be a good friend and one of the teachers I share a room with in my new role.  She was afraid to tell me... just as every person close to me has been.  She also knows of our struggle, and like my other close friend, started "trying" right away because she knew that it could take time.  She and my other friend were married a day apart... in June... June 2012.  Which means they BOTH got pregnant the first month they tried following getting married.  I spent the early summer working on things for their weddings. 

The other coworker is expecting her second child.  She has a two year old already.  She suffers from PCOS, but is one of the lucky ones I guess...  But it's the other two that are weighing heavily on my heart tonight.

I wonder if there will ever be a time that my heart doesn't break with a pregnancy announcement.  I think these sting a little more because they both started trying right away because of my struggle- knowing that it doesn't work for some people.  Yet, they both got very lucky.  They both know just how lucky they are, and for that I am grateful.  They both shared with me how much they treasure the gift that they have been given.  And they both get it... at least for now.  Talk to me in a few months when they are both showing and it might be another story all together.

I can't help but have a little pity party tonight.  We're still waiting.  We're still hoping.  We're trying to live each day and believe that in the end all of this will be worth it.  My heart is breaking tonight.  I just don't understand why we have to watch all of those around us become parents while we want nothing more than to have the chance.  While I know that all of this is not related, but part of me has to wonder why these other women (who are amazing people and will be amazing mothers) have been given the gift that I so desperately yearn for.  Why aren't I good enough to become a mom?  Why can't my body carry a pregnancy?  Why can't a woman choose us to become the parents to her child? 

You would think that after all these years it would get easier.  In some ways it is easier- I was able to smile and ask all the right questions when my coworker told me today.  She knew the story of the coworker who did it all wrong- and wanted to make sure I knew long before it was out.  I was able to keep it together and not shed a tear at work until I had a private moment to call Chris.  So I suppose in some ways it is easier- or maybe I just have developed an armor. 

Of course today is CD#1... and it is a doozy- heavy and crampy.  I really just wanted to curl up into a ball today.  But I survived a full day of work and made it home in one piece. That's probably the bottom line... I am a survivor. 

13 comments:

  1. Big hugs hon. You DO deserve to be a mom. I don't know why the universe works the way it does. I hope your time comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you. I have 2 cousins and 6 close friends who have told me they are pregnant after I lost my IVF twins in February. I long for the day when a pregnancy announcement doesn't break my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally saw that coming with the first paragraph. It is hard, and you ARE a survivor, but ya know what? It still sucks. I wish so much more for you, and quickly too. It is just too much, Patience. Really, enough already! Karma, God, Krishna, Whoever, cut her a break!

    (clearly i'm in a bit of a weird place right now, and IF is pissing me off more than usual. it's not fair, and i'm just angry for you. in the most supportive way, i hope you know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This breaks my heart, dear woman. How many more effing announcements before it's your turn? I want it to be 0. I want the next announcement to be yours.

    I remember a post by Roccie, once, where someone had reminded her not to take credit for (I think it was a failed DE IVF) it. I say this because I feel really sad when I read that you think you are not good enough to be a mom. I think it has nothing to do with that. You are plenty good enough. This is just extraordinarily crappy circumstances that you find yourself in - crappier than most. Please don't blame yourself in this. Don't take credit for it. You're doing EVERYTHING you possibly can to become a mother.

    I hold you in my thoughts and in my heart, dear woman. Take extra good care of yourself at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuck, I hate that you have to go through this. I always hate being taken aside with the look of pity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bummer, I'm sorry that you're getting hammered by all this news. It's so hard to take when you're stuck in limbo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so hard. I'm really impressed that you were able ot make it through without showing any tears. I think of you and Chris every day and hope that you will get "the call" very, very soon.

    I agree with Augusta that it has nothing to do with you not being good enough. It's just horribly, horribly unfair, and in situations like this, I don't think there is any good answer for "why".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been your sister of the heart for so many years now, I have to believe that there is the perfect match out there for you and Chris. The only way I can really wrap my head around ya'ls pain and long suffering is that there is a child or a child is coming into our world that is your child. A child that will lead a glorious life and make a difference in the world because you were the mother and Chris the father. Love you so much, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still praying for you, Patience.
    By the way, I want to do a blog post featuring etsy shops whose funds go toward their adoptions. If you'd like to be featured please leave me a link to your shop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Patience, I'm in the same position. Two of my husband's co-workers, who have also walked the awful journey of infertility and who both started the adoption process well after we did, have both been matched through their agency with a baby in the span of four months. (I know adoption isn't a first come first serve type of thing. It's just super frustrating to feel constantly passed over.)

    *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such BS already! Hope the pity party is cathartic...and the LAST one for gosh sakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patience - I am thinking of you and hoping that the tides turn soon for you and your husband. It's so hard not to feel rejected and not worthy. The baby that enters your life will be lucky to have you and your husband as parents! Please don't forget that for a second. Something is going to break for you, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete