Today I had one of those moments. Our good friends had their fourth baby today. She is a healthy addition to their family. I found myself drawn to FB waiting to hear that the baby had made her arrival. I knew our friend was having a c-section today and that their newest little one would come into this world at some point today. I couldn't figure out why I was so drawn to this birthday. And then I remembered.... Jen found out she was pregnant when we did. They waited to tell us until after the D&C. That sounds worse than it really was- they wanted to be sensitive to what we were going through but knew it was going to be out there and wanted us to know. I found out while I was in North Carolina during spring break, so it wasn't right after our D&C.
But here's the realization I had today. We should have had our baby by now. The baby that we could have brought into this world if I hadn't had the third miscarriage. I don't know what the exact due date would have been, but it would have been before now. With the first miscarriage, I was very in tune with it all and thought about it often. With the second miscarriage, I never had the sense of hope that there could have been a happy ending. The third was so much of a surprise from the start with tiny bursts of hope thrown in. I think that's why this date has hit me like this... it's like a little bubble burst and I had the realization that we should have also been having the experience of becoming parents through the miracle of birth.
I think it also hit me today- I mean really hit home- that we will never experience going to the hospital to give birth. We'll never know what that experience is like. We'll never pack a hospital bag and have a plan to tell those we love that we've welcomed life into this world. We'll never go through that "right of passage" that is such a part of becoming an adult. And I don't know how I will ever come to terms with that realization.
Our life is full, and I am so lucky to share my life with a man who makes my every breath matter. I am so lucky to have a marriage built on memories of growing up together. My marriage is stronger
Patience, you are so amazing and strong. I admire that so much. While you may not wind up going to the hospital to physically give birth, maybe you will still have that rush-to-the-hospital experience as an adoptive parent. And whatever your experience winds up being, it will be the story of how your baby came to join your family, and it will be every bit as special and memorable as your friend's typical "right of passage" experience today.
ReplyDeletethis post hit close to home. I hate that we have been robbed of these rights of passage experiences, as you so rightly named them. I am sending you lots of love as always.
ReplyDeleteHi Patience. Your words ring familiar about the not getting that particular experience...BUT, here's what I say to that (it helps me cope!). So what's the big deal about rushing to the hospital and giving birth--I mean, EVERYONE does that, right, lol? But you will get something completely different yet every bit as profound and special, and it's a much rarer thing to become a parent via adoption and in almost every way it is more emotional and complex. And so that makes our experience that rare but special type, instead of the 'regular special' type that the typical birth is...
ReplyDeleteDoes that make sense? I'm not trying to diminish your loss OR diminish anyone's regular birth experience but it's just the way I think about it...
the grief stretches so long forward into time. I wish it had a beginning, a middle and a end. But it never seems to have an end, does it? I'm sorry this day was so hard and that your heart keeps breaking.
ReplyDeleteI like what MyTwoLines had to share, and knowing something about her very special experience of adoption, I hope that it brings you hope and comfort. I'm also thinking of Jess (A little blog about the big infertility) and how she DID go to the hospital and stay in the hospital with her daughter, even though she is not the one who delivered.
I like to imagine how your adoption experience will unfold. I picture it as a beautiful, ecstatic time for you and Chris. I know that day is coming.
I know the due dates of both my miscarriages and although, yes, sometimes the pain isn't as much in the forefront. It is always there. Certain things makes it resurface and it hurts just as much as it did those fateful days.
ReplyDeleteI am still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I may never carry a baby to term and give birth...and as many times as I picture my adoption coming through and how happy that makes me, it still hurts to know that I won't have those things.
Patience - this is a beautiful and painful post. I'm there with you. 10yrs of IF (and 2 boys through adoption) and I still dream of having my own birthing experience. I wish I didn't, but it's something I can't manage to let go of. Thinking of you today. Wishing - for both of us - peace and healing.
ReplyDelete((hugs))
ReplyDeletePatience - I think of you often and the journey you have been on to create the family you have always wanted. You are a strong woman with so much to give and so many people who look up to you, including myself. Be strong and know that you have many people behind you.
ReplyDelete