After leaving yet another message with the office staff at the OB, I finally got a call back from the OB himself this afternoon. Honestly, I really like him as a doctor. He has always been kind and straight forward with me. It's the rest of the staff at the office that I can do without.
He apologized for not getting back to me sooner. They've changed to electronic records and he hasn't quite embraced it. He was expecting a written report for the lab, and it simply "appeared" in my file without him realizing it. Who knows how long it's been there.
The fetus was completely genetically NORMAL. 46 perfect chromosomes.
My heart sank when he told me. I was so hoping that it was just bad genetic luck. Nope, another completely normal fetus that my body has not allowed to thrive and grow. It's not just "meant to be" due to some horrible chromosomal anomoly. It's my body killing off perfectly normal embryos. Guess that throws out Dr Sch theory that the first m/c was due to the no-result embryo being the one that implanted.
The OB was kind and told me that he too, had hoped that we would learn that it was a genetic issue. He also was honest and said that there really was nothing more he could do to help us. He said he was more than willing to support me in anything I needed going forward, but that he was not comfortable taking the lead on my case. He said I was "unusual" and needed to work with a specialist. He couldn't think of anyone locally that specializes in RPL, and even shared that he doesn't think that anyone in the field really understands RPL.
So- where do we go from here? Chris is willing to consult with another doctor, as long as it doesn't cost more than what we can afford without impacting our adoption fund. I agree. If only we'd won the megamillions- even just a few numbers! It seems really foolish however, to attempt any additional treatment without knowing anything about what is now causing my RPL. He is willing to get a consult with Dr. Kwak- Kim since she is local to us anyway. I suppose it can't hurt to at least find out what her thoughts are on it all. I'm also sending off an email to my beloved CCRM nurse to get her thoughts. I'll keep taking the supplements. None of them can hurt me- and they all have good "life" effects other than egg quality. I wish we had someone that would volunteer to be a surrogate for us- someone we know and love. But that just doesn't seem to be in the cards either.
I dreamed last night that we had finally adopted a baby boy. It was one of those dreams that was so real and vivid that it seemed real. I woke up sad when I realized it had really just been a dream. My dear sweet Patches was also in my dream, alive and well playing with the baby. We were also surrounded by others who had adopted- but all of them were same sex couples. Not sure what that part of my dream means. I wish I felt that this all was a "sign" but I just don't buy into that anymore.
Our homestudy expires two weeks from tomorrow. It's been a full year since we completed the process. We went active with our attorney in September- so it's been more than 6 months that we've been actively trying to adopt. We'll just have to update things for our homestudy and of course pay another fee but it isn't nearly the process it was the first time. I was so hopeful that we'd finally get lucky and not need to update our homestudy- we'd be matched quickly. But it looks as if our adoption path is going to head the same way our treatment path went.
I hate being in this dark place. I don't want to feel this desperation that I am feeling right now. Becoming a mother has been my goal for so long. Please, pretty please, universe- let it all be worth it.
I'm so sorry. Normal is hard news. I'm emailing you right now about the RPL doc I see just in case you're interested.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you didn't get more answers and if you choose to pursue this path further it means more questions...
ReplyDeleteI am also so sorry about updating the homestudy--a reminder of this interminable wait! Reaching out to give you a huge hug.
Oh man, I'm sorry, that is not very helpful. We were only able to test one of our embryos after a m/c, but because it was a girl, the lab wouldn't commit to the fetus being a normal baby girl, or if it was actually my tissue that was the normal girl. RPL is just frustrating :'( My Naperville RE was fine with RPL patients trying baby aspirin, and if we ever get that far again, I planned to ask about C.CRM's antihistamine protocol. Just some thoughts for you.
ReplyDeleteIt will be worth it. It will. Until then, it will suck sometimes. And be okay others. So sorry you're in such a sucky spot right now.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I continue to pray that it'll be your turn soon!
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry you have this news to work through. We never had our embryos/fetuses tested and after 5 losses we just got pregnant with a sticky bean. I have no idea what was different this time, but I truly hope that you can have this experience one day soon. I started taking baby aspirin when I got my +hpt and will take it until a few weeks before my due date, I was also put on a steroid at the same time because my anxiety was really bad and the dexamethazone(?) suppressed my natural cortisol production. I was also on progesterone suppositories until 13 weeks. I didn't really have anything they could diagnose, I don't know if any of these things were what made the difference, but I feel as though the aspirin and progesterone could both be things that most RPL doctors would suggest as good options. I know that when you become a mama, however that happens for you, you will feel that it was all worth it. I am just truly sorry that you have to endure all this heartache on the journey.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry there was no clear answer as to what the issue was. I think making an appointment with Dr. Kwak-Kim is a good idea if you can afford it. CCRM doesn't believe a lot in immune issues, but I tend to think that's what our issue was. We tried intralipids first, but those didn't work for us - we had to go the IVIg route.
ReplyDeleteI wish things were moving more quickly for you on the adoption front, too. I'm sorry this is all so hard.
I'm so sorry that you did not get an answer with the test results. It really, really sucks to not know why our bodies do what they do. I'm also sorry that the adoption process is moving slowly for you. I hate that you are suffering so much right now. I wish I had some comforting words for you. I really hope that the universe turns in your favor and very soon...hang in there, sweetie.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Patience. I know that you were hoping for something more conclusive.
ReplyDeleteI really don't know what to suggest, but have you ever considered looking into Celiac disease? I can't remember if you have mentioned that before. Do you read Waiting in Sunshine's blog?
http://waitinginsunshine.typepad.com/blog/my-story-from-ivfc.html
Did they run RPL blood tests on you?
ReplyDeleteI had a RPL panel done and they discovered I have MTHFR and clotting issues.
The treatment is a baby aspirin a day (for the rest of my life), prescriptive folic acid and while cycling Lovenox and Intralipid transfusion.
Now I can't tell you if it will work or not b/c my last 2 cycles failed.
Email me if you have any questions on a RPL panel.
Best of Luck and I pray that your adoption comes through soon.
HUGS!!
I'm sorry this is so hard and you didn't get any answers. Big hugs.
ReplyDeleteThis just sucks Patience...I think of you and Chris oh so often and just refuse to believe you will come out of this empty handed. Gosh, your luck has got to break sooner or later. And darn it I sure hope its SOOOONN!!!
ReplyDeletePatience - ugghh! More questions to address. I wish there was something I could do to help! I know of a girl from my office that had two misses after her DD. She had the last one tested and it was determined to be normal. Then she went on to have a second baby, just last week, with no problems. I don't think she did anything different either. She doesn't know why the this last one stuck.
ReplyDeleteI agree that you don't want to do anything that could jeopardize your adoption plans/funds, but I also think it's worth seeing that doctor. Also, Cassie brings up a good point...about celiac, but I thought you already tested for that. Also, do you have a RPL support group locally? If so, maybe you could join to see if you could learn something more about possible causes or of a good doctor, etc. I know it's so draining and difficult, but I would think it's worth exploring.
It takes a very, very strong person to keep going, to keep pressing on, to keep on the path to motherhood. You are that strong person. There's no giving up. You will be a mom and I hope it's soon!!!! Thinking of you and wishing you strength.