Mel posted earlier this week about the new Presidential Family portrait and the fact that the last one was taken two years ago. She asked us all to reflect at where we were at two years ago. I wish I hadn't looked.
You see, two years ago we were full of HOPE. You can read the post here. I had just finished a month long drug protocol that had made me miserable, but we were so sure that it was the final piece to our IVF. We learned that we had three normal blasts from our final IVF and were preparing to transfer them in January. I was so sure that it was going to work. I remember being so very hopeful for the first time in years. Everything was falling nicely into place. I was able to stomach the holidays because I was finally off the horrible drug, and I was so sure that it was going to be a final childless holiday.
For those of you who have read my blog for some time, you know how that all turned out. If you'd like to refresh your memory- read this. I came crashing down from my HOPE high really hard.
But I've moved on, right? We're moving forward and healing from that negative and the devastating miscarriage that came months later after we transferred our final blasts. We've closed that chapter of our life. We're moving on and are actively trying to adopt. We're hopeful again....
And that's where I slammed on the brakes. Here I am, two years later, blissfully hopeful that this will once again be our last childless Christmas. I am full of hope that we will become parents through adoption. Everything is falling into place. But am I setting myself up to fall again?
Other than the one situation that was a "hand me down" from another couple who had already been matched, we have not had a single call on our own 800 number. There has been no interest. After hearing of the two expectant mothers over a month ago, we are getting radio silence now. Before you tell me it hasn't been that long- I know. I know that we've only been fully active since September. I know that we've only run our first newspaper ads last week. But we've been out there- telling everyone we know. We've sent out mailings, we have a website and a face.book page. It was a year ago that we fully started the process with our first homestudy meeting.
I think the waiting would be so much easier to take if I knew that there would be a happy ending. It's been more than 11 years since we started trying to have a family. I just don't know how much longer I can wait without losing myself. I've realized that the unknown timeline or even IF it will all work out is starting to eat away at me. I don't like the person I am right now. I am overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at the same time. I am sad when I think about what the past 2 years have held for us- so much sadness and loss.
For now I am holding onto hope. Hope that we will finally have our family. Hope that I will be able to embrace motherhood after yearning for so long. Hope that Chris and I will be good parents. Hope that we won't have our hearts broken again in the process. Hope that an expectant mother will choose us and that we will be parents in 2012.
HOPE better not let me down this time. I'm not going to take it lightly this time!
Wish I was there to wrap you up in a big hug then a long talk. I, too, hope that you will have the dream fulfilled in 2012 but I don't have to hope for some things because I know you will embrace motherhood and I know Chris and you will be amazing parents.
ReplyDeleteI have a lot of hope for you and Chris that 2012 will bring you that missing piece!
ReplyDeleteI hope that hope doesn't let you down either. Big hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so very hard around this time of year, but we do have to hope. Thinking of you...
ReplyDeletehope is such a tricky thing, isn't it? We are told to hold on to it, we are beckoned to follow it, we are resentful towards it when our plans disintegrate before our eyes. It is very difficult to maintain a sense of hope when the past is littered with failures. But I think it might be the sign of being fully alive to be able to reignite hope when it's all but dark around us. One has to make herself vulnerable to let hope enter again. You, Patience, are very extraordinary in this department. I admire how you are able to continually make yourself vulnerable and let hope fill you.
ReplyDeleteNo one knows what is going to happen with the adoption, but it is my sense that the odds are certainly on your side. May 2012 be the years that your child finally makes it home.
I really hope 2012 is your year. You guys have been through more than most, and I want you to still have hope...
ReplyDeleteI hope you get matched in 2012. BUT, that's how we approached the holidays as well and it really really sucked when things didn't work out they way they were "supposed" to. Try to let go of expectations. Easier said than done....
ReplyDelete