For the past two days, I have placed children in what I have lovingly referred to as "Science Fair Jail" after school. I'm happy to report that all of my darlings will in fact have a finished board for tomorrow's presentations. It has meant two VERY late nights at work this week, but it is worth it to have the kids feel the sense of accomplishment of a finished board. So many of my kids just don't have the support at home to complete projects like this, so we have to do it all within the school day.
I am a little sad I won't be there tomorrow for the actual fair, but know that my kids will be in good hands with one of my favorite substitutes and another colleague. I am glad that the Science Fair is now done but not looking forward to the late night on Monday grading everything. I am so fortunate that one of my collegaues has given up his plan period for just about the last month to help me out in Science every day. One of the budget cuts last year was my instructional assistant, and I miss her dearly. It's hard to work with kids at such varying levels all on my own. My colleague teaches the Social Studies class for my kids, so I will be repaying the favor when we start the big International Fair project after spring break. I am so fortunate to work with such a great staff. With all of the negative press about teachers right now, it makes my heart smile to remember that there are those of us in the trenches every day making a difference for kids, no matter what the media says about us as a group.
I ran again today after I released the darlings from Science Fair Jail. Here are today's stats:
Week 2, Day 1 (5 min warmup, 90 sec run, 2 min walk X6, 5 min cool down)
1.36 miles
Halls at school
I did ok on this, and I was worried about the first day of the new week. I didn't even check the run time until after 60 seconds, so that means that the program is working, I think! The last run was tough and I definitely had to push through it. I love that I am able to use the Nike+ app to post to Facebook when I start a run. Then anytime someone hits like on it, I hear a cheer as I run. Too fun! The app was definitely worth the $1.99!
I am noticing that I have a sore back tonight. I am wondering if running the halls is harder on the body than a treadmill. I also know that I run very heavy on my feet. Need to work on technique for sure. Does anyone have any tips or resources for this novice runner? It seems silly to say that I need to learn to run, but I do. I need to learn how to be lighter on my feet I think. Anyone have any thoughts?
Tomorrow is the big day- It's the Illinois State High School Swim Championship. It's really exciting, and I am so glad that I get to go and cheer on Chris and his boys. It is a crazy event and seating is VERY limited. I am meeting parents at 7 am so we can get in line to get wristbands in order to get into the seating area. We already have our tickets- those are a premium too. The wristbands just get us a spot in line to get into the seating area. Then we have to spend the day in the gym until the pool opens to spectators at 2:30! Looking forward to spending the day with the parents and hopefully seeing some really fast swims from Chris' boys. I love the sport of swimming, and love to watch it anyway so this is a big treat. I took a personal day from school so I could go, and I am really glad I did. I am really NOT a fan of big crowds, so I am going to work hard to just go with the flow of it all!
Finals are on Saturday. We are hopeful that his relay(s) and a few of the boys should make it. It's going to be an exciting and exhausting few days. I am so proud of Chris and looking forward to celebrating with the team tomorrow night. Illinois is a very competitive swimming state, so there should be some really fast swims over the two days.
Off to treat myself to a bubble bath for completing science fair and running and as a calming measure before the swim meet! Have a wonderful weekend!
That app sounds cool--almost cool enough for me to want to get on FB :) :)
ReplyDeleteSounds cool. Best of luck for the coming big events.
ReplyDeleteICLW.
Here from ICLW, and as a fellow teacher I HATE the budget cuts that take positions from schools... we are overwhelmed as it is, the admin should take pay cuts instead! Enjoy the swim meet!
ReplyDelete#24
I did Couch to 5K too! I think running the halls might be too hard on your back and knees... we were even told to never run on sidewalks, and only run on the street! (asphalt is better on your joints than concrete). Good luck, you must be so proud of yourself!!
ReplyDeleteHappy ICLW!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have been on a very long journey. I hope that your homestudy is all approved and you can get underway soon. Hopefully you will have a new addition to your family in the near future.xx
I like the sound of the app that cheers you on..great motivation!!
Sounds like a full week! Running, science fair and swim competition! Phew! Glad you are taking care of yourself through your commitment to running. You are a very wonderful person who deserves excellent care.
ReplyDelete