Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Reflections on Being an American Today...
I am excited at the prospect of change for our country. I am proud to be an American today.
I got up nice and early to hit the polls close to when they opened at 6 a.m. Little did I know that everyone else had the same idea! But as I was standing in line, I had time to reflect on what a true privelege it is to live in America.
At first I was annoyed that I would have to wait to vote. And then I thought about how blessed we are to live in a country where we are given the chance to vote without fear for our lives. We were able to wait in a comfortable location with free coffee. In the end I waited a mere 30 minutes... nothing compared to people in other nations who wait for DAYS in order to vote in an election.
As I looked around all those in line with me, I was truly touched with the ideal that we are all part of this amazing nation... and that all of these people took their responsibility to vote seriously. In my humble opinion, voting is not only a privilege, but also a responsibility. One of my students did Susan B Anthony as her biography project. If it weren't for the hard work of women so many years ago, I would not have had the chance to vote. Don't we owe it to them... and to ourselves to exercise our right to vote? It was nice to look around and see that more than half of the people in line this morning were women.
As a midle school teacher, I have had the opportunity to teach the election process over the past few weeks. It has been enlightening on my part to realize that my vote does in fact count.. electoral college or not. It was refreshing to hear these young minds discuss why people should vote and what they want to see in our next president. Of course, I am a mere observer in all discussions and pride myself in being able to keep my own personal political thoughts out of the mix.
I am hopeful... this is the 4th time I have had the chance to vote for president. My last two candidates were not successful. I feel it is time for change in this country and hope that after tonight, we will in fact have a winner. I don't want to live through another 2000! :-)
Regardless of the end result tonight, I hope that we can become one nation. I fear that will not be the case and we will continue to see a great divide among our people. I hope that celebrations are just that... celebrations and no violence comes of any of it. The reality is that history will be made with this election... no matter who wins. And I am proud to say that I took part in it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amen! Proud to be an American!
ReplyDelete